Most Hyundai models have a built-in navigation system with maps that make it easy to get to your location. It’s important to update the map and navigation system so that it can keep up with any new roads, road changes, or added points of interest. Older model Hyundais used to require an update every spring. However, newer models such as the 2019-2021 Santa Fe and Elantra have the availability to update their navigation system in the spring and fall so you can rest assured that your system is current.
Follow this easy step-by-step guide so that you can update the navigation system yourself.
The Basics of Using Hyundai Navigation and Maps
When you purchase a new Hyundai Santa Fe, Elantra, or other models, select trims or add-on packages automatically come with a navigation system. The navigation system comes with a three-year free subscription, and when the trial period runs out, you can continue to pay for the subscription-based system.
Using Non-Voice Activated Navigation
Please keep in mind that in order to manually search for addresses and points of interest, the system won’t work unless the car’s transmission is in park.
To start using the navigation system in your Hyundai Elantra or Santa Fe, go to the infotainment touch screen and follow these directions:
- Go to the home screen.
- Press the Maps or Nav button.
- Click the Place button to search for an address or point of interest.
- Press the compass icon and then the plus or minus button to zoom in or out.
- Cancel the route if you desire by pressing the cancel route button.
- Press the manual button and manually enter the address.
- Press the previous destinations for quick recall of places you’ve inputted and have stopped.
- Use the point of interest or POI button to help you locate local restaurants, shopping destinations, gas stations, etc.
Using Voice-Commands and the Bluelink System
If your Hyundai has voice-activated navigation it will allow you to use voice commands to search for addresses while driving.
Almost all newer model Hyundais have the Bluelink system that activates voice commands for navigation and multimedia. The system helps you drive hands-free. To use Bluelink for navigation:
- Press the talk or voice icon mounted on your steering wheel.
- Say “find” to search for an address or point of interest already set up in your network. For example, you can say something like, “Find John’s soccer field.”
- Say “map” and the screen will change to maps.
- Say “previous points” and a numbered list will appear of pre-set locations. Once you see the number, say it out loud and the Bluelink system will bring the address up and help you navigate to the location.
You can also set voice commands for “go home,” “go to work,” “go to school,” or other locations you frequently use. The Bluelink system will automatically determine a route to your destination from your current location. You can also ask the system to zoom the map in or out, cancel the route or route options. If you don’t want route guidance on, ask the Bluelink system to turn it off.
Updating Maps and Navigation
You have the option to download the new software from your computer to your Santa Fe or Elantra’s navigation system SD card, or Hyundai can ship the new software to you so you can install it without having to download the software. All 2019 through 2021 Santa Fe, Elantra, and other Hyundai models use the current SD card found in the vehicle. If you’re trying to update navigation and maps in an older Hyundai, you’ll need an aftermarket 32GB SD card to download the software. You’ll need to download Navigation Updater onto your desktop computer to install the current software.
How to Update Maps and Navigation
Option 1 – Using the SD Card
- Use the owner’s manual to pull the SD card from your Hyundai.
- Log into MyHyundai.
- Click Map Update on the footer of the website.
- Go to the new map update site.
- Select the Navigation Updater button.
- Choose either Windows or Mac program.
- Select United States from the location menu.
- From the brand menu, click Hyundai.
- Choose English from the language menu.
- Agree to terms and conditions and hit Next.
- Select saving location and Next to install.
- Log in using MyHyundai credentials once the Navigation Updater appears on your desktop.
- Press Okay to save the map files on your computer.
- Search vehicle, model, and year and click Confirm.
- Insert the vehicle SD card into the slot in your computer.
The Download and Installation Process
Download times vary depending on your internet speed, so be patient and wait for the prompts until the download is complete:
- Press Start once the computer recognizes the SD card.
- Press Okay for SD card recommendations.
- Hit Yes to format the media and the download will begin.
- Click Okay when you receive instructions on how to install the information in your Hyundai.
- Eject media and hit Close Program.
- Follow the instructions to put the SD card back in the vehicle for updating in the system.
Option 2- Order and Ship
If you decide you’d rather have the software shipped, follow these steps:
- Log onto MyHyundai.
- Click the Shipping Order Website link under Navigation Updater.
- Create a MnSoft Account when the link takes you to the website.
- Choose your Model Year and Model and Search.
- Choose your media option that includes shipping and add to cart.
- Confirm your address and shipping method, hit Next.
- Use the PayPal Express Checkout button and follow the instructions.
You’ll receive instructions on how to install the updated and shipped SD card into your vehicle. You can call customer care at 1-800-633-5151 for help or visit the Hyundai owners navigation update website.
To learn more about how to update the Hyundai navigation system or, if you need help with the process, stop by or call Hufflines Hyundai Plano today and a professional service team member can help you with the update.
Image via Hyundaiusa.com