Global positioning systems are key to modern travel, saving as much time as possible for drivers so they can spend more time doing the things that matter most. Here we’ll cover the proper way to update the Hyundai GPS, so drivers have access to the most current maps and routes available.
Update Types, Methods, and Model Year Availabilities
There are two types of GPS currently installed on Hyundai vehicles: onboard navigation and display audio. Drivers with a Map button on their dashboard have onboard navigation. Drivers without the button on their dash have display audio.
Updates for vehicles of the 2017 model year or earlier have systems that are updated in the Spring of each year. Updates for vehicles of the 2018 model year or newer have biannual updates in Spring and Fall. Updates can be made over the air by download or through the use of a USB stick or SD card containing the proper programming information.
Updating Onboard Navigation
Here are the simple steps required to update your onboard navigation GPS. The following steps must be followed precisely for the update to be carried out as intended by the manufacturer. Any incorrect selections may cause problems requiring a system update at a dealership service center.
Step One: Log on to your MyHyundai Account
You will need your email address and password to log onto your MyHyundai account. Your password can be retrieved through your email account if you have forgotten it.
Step Two: Navigate to the Navigation Updater
Go to the bottom of the screen that shows up after login and look for the Map Update button. Clicking it will take you to the new Navigation Updater page.
Step Three: Choose an Operating System
Download the Navigation Updater program using the link that matches your operating system. The options are for Windows or Mac (Apple), but if you are a Linux user running either one as a virtual operating system, you can download and use the one that matches your setup.
Step Four: Decide between Downloading and Shipping
The required information can be downloaded onto a USB stick or SD card at this point, or you can have the programming information sent to you from the manufacturer.
Decision One Steps: Downloading and Installing
If you choose to download onto a USB or SD storage device, you should follow these steps:
- Select the country of vehicle use in the Select Area box. Available options include Korea, The United States, and Canada.
- Select the Hyundai brand in the Select Brand box.
- Select the install language in the Select Language box. Options include Korean, Spanish, French, and English.
- Thoroughly read the terms and conditions in the License Contract box and accept them if you agree. A copy can be printed for your records. Disagreeing with the terms will mean the download cannot be completed.
- Choose a save location in the Select Saving Location box. Select the disc drive you want to save the updater to and execute the save. A shortcut to the updater will appear on your desktop.
- Open the Navigation Updater and sign into the MyHyundai system with your user credentials.
- A prompt will appear saying that the files must be downloaded to a drive and then moved to the USB or SD storage device. Verify the storage location and click OK.
- Enter the navigation software version your Hyundai currently uses and confirm the searched vehicle on the next screen. Then, click OK.
- Select your vehicle model year on the next screen and click confirm.
- Insert the USB or SD storage device you want to use to transfer the navigation programming to your Hyundai. Storage space must meet or exceed 64 gigabytes on USB storage devices. The information will load onto the device when confirmation is given.
- Insert the loaded data storage device into the vehicle. Your vehicle’s user manual will show you where the proper slot is. A new screen will appear upon insertion. Confirm location and press Start.
- Confirm the update location and begin the download. Instructions on further installation will appear after the download is complete. Eject the data storage device when the process is complete.
Decision Two: Have it Shipped Instead
This choice may be better for those who are not used to dealing with computers. The order process is simple:
- Select the Shipping Order Website link on the new Navigation Updater page.
- Log in to or make a MnSoft account.
- Search for your vehicle model year.
- Choose your media options, accept the terms and conditions, and press Add to Cart.
- Confirm the proper shipping address and method and click Next.
- Choose the PayPal Express Checkout button and follow the instructions from there. This is the only payment option, so you’ll need to have a PayPal account beforehand.
- Follow the directions under Decision One above from steps 10 to 12.
For Users of Display Audio GPS Software
if you have display audio GPS, go to the Hyundai site and navigate to the Update Notice View 983 page. There you will find a list of eligible vehicles for the applicable device generations. Generation One is the system with BlueLink, while Generation Two is the one with phone projection software. The update instructions on the page must be followed exactly. Contact your dealership if you have any difficulty updating using this method.
Feel free to reach out to us at Huffines Hyundai of Plano if you have any trouble with the update process. Our trained professionals will ensure that the process is carried out as intended. If all else fails, you can always bring your vehicle to us for an on-site update. You’ll find our dealership at 909 Coit Road, Plano, Texas. It won’t take long, and you can enjoy our many comfortable amenities while you wait. You might even want to check out our selection of new Hyundais or browse the many quality used vehicles in our inventory.