If you’re looking for a small SUV with solid towing capability, you should add the 2022 Hyundai Santa Fe to your shortlist. Featuring a rugged body structure and a potent engine, this compact crossover can pull a more considerable amount of weight than most other models in its class. Check out this detailed guide to learn more about the towing capacity and performance of the latest Hyundai Santa Fe.
image via Hyundai USA
If you decide to buy the 2022 Hyundai Santa Fe, you have two engine options to choose from. The lower trims have a 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine that develops 191 horsepower and 181 pound-feet of torque. This unit works with a smooth-shifting eight-speed automatic transmission.
If you go for one of the top two trims, you’ll get a 2.5-liter turbo-four unit that serves up 277 horsepower and 311 pound-feet of torque and pairs with a dual-clutch eight-speed automatic transmission. Regardless of engine choice, the Santa Fe comes standard with front-wheel drive and offers all-wheel drive options.
image via Hyundai USA
Despite its relatively small size, the 2022 Hyundai Santa Fe is a surprisingly strong workhorse. A Santa Fe fitted with the base engine can tow up to 2,000 pounds, while a turbocharged model has a maximum towing capacity of 3,500 pounds. This rating is impressive considering that many compact SUVs cannot lug more than 2,000 pounds. Let’s look at the list below to get an idea of what you can tow with this Hyundai SUV:
- Two motorcycles.
- Two ATVs.
- Two jet-skis.
- Fiberglass fishing boat.
- 20-foot aluminum boat.
- Teardrop trailer.
- Utility trailer.
- Pop-up trailer.
- Small camping trailer.
- Tow dolly with a small car.
As you can see, the 2022 Santa Fe should be able to transport everything you need for your weekend outdoor adventure. Besides a high towing capacity, this SUV has a payload rating of 1,748 pounds, which allows you to store heavy objects in the cargo area. With up to 72.1 cubic feet of cargo space at your disposal, you can fit all your family’s luggage and even some camping or sports equipment in the back.
The 2022 Hyundai Santa Fe is equipped with a wide array of advanced technologies, some of which contribute to an easier towing experience. The following are many features that come standard on the SUV to help you and your cargo get to your destination safely:
- Trailer sway control. Trailer sway occurs when your trailer begins to move side to side in a frantic manner. As a result, your trailer or vehicle can get out of control and pose a safety hazard to the passengers on board and nearby motorists. When it detects swaying, the Santa Fe’s trailer sway control system automatically applies the brakes to specific wheels and reduces engine torque to help the vehicle regain stability.
- Hill-start assists control: When you’re towing a heavy load, your SUV is more likely to roll forward or backward when you attempt to start it on a steep slope. The hill-start assist control system can sense that your vehicle starts on an incline or declines. When it does, it maintains brake pressure as you switch from the brake pedal to the gas pedal. Once you step on the gas pedal, it immediately releases the brakes.
- Vehicle stability management: Wet and slippery road conditions can reduce vehicle traction and control, making towing more difficult and dangerous. Fortunately, the Santa Fe has a vehicle stability management system to control the steering and brakes to restore proper traction and directional stability.
- Brake assist: Driving with a trailer can considerably increase your stopping distance. In an emergency braking situation, the Hyundai SUV’s brake assist system will kick in and apply extra pressure on the brakes to help it stop faster.
It’s also worth noting that the new Hyundai Santa Fe comes with one of the most extensive lists of driver-assistance technologies in its class. Although these systems aren’t towing- or performance-oriented features, they can help you become more aware of your surroundings while trailering, resulting in a lower accident risk. Every model of this SUV is fitted with the following active safety features:
- Forward-collision alert.
- Forward automatic emergency braking.
- Pedestrian and cyclist monitoring.
- Lane-keeping assistance.
- Blind-spot detection.
- Automatic high-beam headlamps.
- Driver-drowsiness detection.
- Adaptive cruise control.
- Rear cross-traffic warning.
- Rearview camera.
Besides being a great load-lugger, the 2022 Hyundai Santa Fe delivers a delightful driving experience. The standard engine of this crossover is more than powerful enough to meet your everyday driving needs. However, if you routinely need to tow or haul a lot of cargo or enjoy hitting the open road, it’s a good idea to get the available turbocharged engine. This powertrain enables the SUV to get off the line and perform passing maneuvers quickly. It doesn’t feel sluggish or strained even in demanding situations, like trailering or climbing long inclines.
In addition, the Santa Fe earns top marks in the handling department. Due to its relatively small dimensions and quick and nicely weighted steering, it’s a cinch to maneuver on crowded or narrow streets and in parking lots. This is one of the reasons why it’s a popular choice among city dwellers. Furthermore, the SUV provides a smooth and comfortable ride in most situations. Its suspension soaks up bumps and potholes with ease, preventing vibration and harshness from permeating the cabin.
Although it’s intended to be a family-focused vehicle, the Santa Fe is capable of delivering an emotional driving experience when you’re in the mood for it. It feels stable at highway speeds and demonstrates impressive agility around sharp turns and curvy roads. It also has strong brakes to boost your confidence behind the wheel. Overall, this Hyundai model strikes the ideal balance between ride comfort and athletic handling.
If you’re planning to purchase a new SUV in Plano, Texas, feel free to drop by Huffines Hyundai Plano to view and test drive the fantastic 2022 Hyundai Santa Fe. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.